Be sure to complete the following prerequisites before upgrading the Cisco IOS XE version of the controller software image:
- Compatibility with the hypervisor vendor and version being used. If you want to upgrade to a new hypervisor version that is not supported by your current version of controller, you need to upgrade the version of controller before upgrading to the new hypervisor version.
- Memory requirements of the VM for the controller software image:
- If the new controller version requires more memory than your previous version, you must increase the memory allocation on the VM before starting the upgrade process.
- You must use the .bin file to upgrade or downgrade your software. Use the .iso and .ova files for first-time installation only.
Upgrading in Install Mode
Follow these instructions to upgrade from one release to another, in install mode.
Note that transferring large files over TFTP is a time-consuming process.
To perform a software image upgrade, you must be boot into Cisco IOS through boot flash:packages.conf command.
Download file from Cisco.com
- Clean up old install files: install remove inactive
2. copy file from the server to the controller: copy scp://10.0.66.18/ C9800-CL-universalk9.16.12.02s.SPA.bin flash:
3. Verify that the image has been successfully copied: to the controller: dir flash: *.bin
4. Install the software to flash: install add file bootflash:C9800-CL-universalk9.16.12.02s.SPA.bin activate commit
Note: the system will reboot automatically after running the install activate command
Verify image version after the upgrade